Who to talk with about veterans education benefits
To learn about veterans benefits at University of Wisconsin campuses go to the link for campus Veterans Services or speak to the Campus Veterans Coordinator. At Wisconsin Technical College campuses contact the Veterans Certifying Official at your campus. They can provide information on education benefits for veterans, as well as campus-specific veterans services and programs.
Spouses and dependent children – you may be eligible for some educational benefits as well. For more information speak with those mentioned above or see your County Veterans Service Office (CVSO) for assistance.
If you have previously served
Knowing what federal and state benefits you are eligible for, and how much you are entitled to under each benefit, is an important first step in your decision-making process.
To learn about Wisconsin Veterans Benefits go to: http://dva.state.wi.us/Ben-education.asp
For information on all services and benefits available to you as a veteran, see your County Veterans Service Office (CVSO) for assistance.
If you are currently serving
- Stationed at an active duty installation – See your installation's education officer/NCO
- Activated Guard member or Reservist (under Title 10) – see your unit's education officer/NCO
- Actively drilling Guard/Reserve component
- The Wisconsin National Guard provides education benefits for its enlisted students. Specific information is available on the Wisconsin Air National Guard Web site and the Wisconsin Army National Guard Web site. Wisconsin Army National Guard members can contact the Education Services Office at: http://wisconsinmilitary.org/benefits/education/education-programs/
Wisconsin Veterans Education Benefits
The Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs has resources to help veterans learn about the state benefits to which they are entitled.
The Wisconsin GI Bill is a state tuition remission program for eligible Wisconsin veterans, and certain children and spouses of eligible veterans, who are attending public institutions of higher education in Wisconsin.
- Details and application materials are available in this application guide.
- General information and important links are available at: http://gibill.wisconsin.edu
- For students attending University of Wisconsin institutions:
- For students attending Wisconsin Technical Colleges:
The Wisconsin Veterans Education Reimbursement Grant is another education benefit eligible to Wisconsin veterans.
- Chapter 1606 (Selected Guard and Reserve)
- Chapter 1607 (Activated under Title 10)
- Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)
- Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30, Active Duty)
- Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31, Veteran with service-connected disability)
Another great resource is the Explore VA Education page. Explore VA offers Veterans and their family members fast and easy ways to learn about educational benefits and begin the application process. VA Educational benefits help veterans pay for school with programs like the Post-9/11 GI Bill, the Montgomery GI Bill, Veterans Job Training, and Spouses, Dependents, and Survivors Eligibility. Explore VA Education Benefits today to learn more and apply.